ONE DAY TO GO!!!!! Don't you just love this feeling- the excitement before you set off on an adventure. The problem is usually I am running around like a headless chicken the day before any trip– and I always end up forgetting to do something! So, for my benefit as much as yours, here's a quick run-down on things to do the day before your trip!
Things to do the day before your trip
- Check the time of your ferry/ tunnel. Make sure to also check how far in advance you need to check in
- Confirm the time of departure with family- check how long it will take to get to the port
- Empty bins. Ideally, ask a neighbour to put your bin out/ put it back so it's not stood outside for too long
- Empty fridge and throw/ donate perishables. I WISH there was an easy way to donate food like this to the homeless/ needy. Such a waste.
- Clean out your wallet of anything you won't need to take with you
- If going for a while, bring in outdoor furniture.
- Ensure sheds/ garages are locked
- Check and pay unpaid bills
- Reduce heating thermostat
- If necessary, set up an email responder
- Download movies, podcasts, music- anything you might want when you're away, try to download it now so you can save data
- Check washer/ dryer for forgotten clothes
- Wash up all dishes- don't leave anything in the dishwasher, EVEN if it's clean. Tried that once- came back to a very mouldy dishwasher. Urgh 🙁
- Unplug anything you don't want to turn on when you are away. Kettles, ovens, toasters, TVs- everything.
- Set timers for lamps if you want it to look like someone is home.
- Consider adding bleach/ baking soda to toilets to remove stagnant water smell
- If defrosting freezer, leave the door ajar and put down lots of towels
Things To Do the morning of your trip!
- Check ALL doors/ windows are locked
- Turn off power sockets
- CHARGE- phones, ipads, cameras sat navs, drones, radios, laptops- anything electrical. Then make sure anything you are not using is switched off to conserve battery.
- Glasses/ Sunglasses
- PASSPORT (inc. Pet passport)
- Driving Licence
Pretty much anything else can be sorted out along the way! Make a handy list of all this stuff (I keep mine on my phone) and that way you can run through it quickly just before you head out of the door. I also use this list to jot down stuff I remember throughout the day, like check the mail, cancel newspapers or milk and set my favourite programmes to record.
Take care and travel safely. Let me know where you end up!!
How else can I help you today??
Enjoyed this post? Know someone who might find this post useful? We'd love it if you shared it on social media- thank you! Don't forget- you can download the checklist for FREE right here!