Are you planning your holiday? Looking for a pre-travel checklist so you remember all those essential jobs to do the day before you go on holiday?
Why is it that sometimes a vacation doesn’t feel like a vacation at all- especially if you’re travelling with a family. Trying to remember all the things to do before holiday can be exhausting!
I want to help you stop feeling like a headless chicken before your holiday, so here’s a FREE downloadable and PRINTABLE PDF checklist with all the essential jobs you need to do pre-travel. If you’d like to download it, just click the link below:
Pre-Travel Checklist- Practical things to do the day before vacation
- Check the time of your ferry/ tunnel. Make sure to also check how far in advance you need to check-in
- Confirm the time of departure with family- check how long it will take to get to the port
- Check and pay unpaid bills
- Clean out your wallet of anything you won’t need to take with you
- If necessary, set up an email responder
- Make sure you have everything washed, packed and ready to go. If you want to make things even easier, get some IKEA packing cubes to help keep you organised.
Travel Preparation Checklist- Outdoor things to do the day before you go on holiday
- If going for a while, bring in outdoor furniture.
- Ensure sheds/ garages are locked
Pre- Travel Checklist- Indoor jobs to remember the day before you go on holiday
- Empty bins. Ideally, ask a neighbour to put your bin out/ put it back so it’s not stood outside for too long
- Empty fridge and throw/ donate perishables. I WISH there was an easy way to donate food like this to the homeless/ needy. Such a waste.
- Reduce heating thermostat
- Download movies, podcasts, music- anything you might want when you’re away, try to download it now so you can save data
- Check washer/ dryer for forgotten clothes
- Wash up all dishes- don’t leave anything in the dishwasher, EVEN if it’s clean. Tried that once- came back to a very mouldy dishwasher. Urgh 🙁
- Unplug anything you don’t want to turn on when you are away. Kettles, ovens, toasters, TVs- everything.
- Set timers for lamps if you want it to look like someone is home.
- Consider adding bleach/ baking soda to toilets to remove stagnant water smell
- If defrosting freezer, leave the door ajar and put down lots of towels
Things To Do the morning of your trip!
- Check ALL doors/ windows are locked
- Turn off power sockets
- CHARGE- phones, ipads, cameras sat navs, drones, radios, laptops- anything electrical. Then make sure anything you are not using is switched off to conserve battery.
Don’t Forget these ESSENTIAL things:
- Glasses/ Sunglasses
- PASSPORT (inc. Pet passport)
- Driving Licence
I hope that list helps with all the things to remember before your vacation! Pretty much anything else can be sorted out along the way!
Make a handy list of all this stuff (I keep mine on my phone) and that way you can run through it quickly just before you head out of the door.
I also use this list to jot down ‘stuff’ I remember throughout the day, like check the mail, cancel newspapers or milk and set my favourite programmes to record.
Take care and travel safely. Let me know where you end up!!
How else can I help you today??
Enjoyed this post? Know someone who might find this post useful? We’d love it if you shared it on social media- thank you! Don’t forget- you can download the checklist for FREE right here!
Kat never planned to buy a motorhome. She also never planned to quit her job as an air traffic controller, go touring around Europe in said motorhome, start one of the UK’s largest motorhome travel websites… or get a cocker spaniel.
If you’d like to connect with Kat, send her an email or follow her adventures on social media.