Ever thought of making money from your motorhome when you're not using it? Want to know if hiring out your campervan is worth it? Here's a guide on how to hire out your van and what the pros and cons might be.
New to motorhoming? Don't forget to grab your FREE motorhoming pre-trip checklists here (also useful to give to anyone who hires out your camper from you!)
*We work hard to make this the best motorhome blog and road trip website possible, full of helpful content for you. The website is supported by our readers, so if you buy through links on this site we may earn a commission- at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.
If you find this post useful, you can also treat us to a coffee at the bottom of this page- we promise to enjoy it while creating more useful content like this- we might even indulge in a biscuit (or two!)
Is Hiring out a motorhome or campervan worth it?
One of the biggest concerns that anyone buying a motorhome or campervan has is ‘will I use it enough to justify the cost'?
And it's a valid question. Unless you're planning to live fulltime in your van, there are going to be periods of time where it will be sitting, unused, on your driveway or in storage.
But have you ever considered hiring out your camper and letting it earn you some money when you're not using it?
With the current boom in motorhoming, and the price of vehicles continuing to rise, many people who can't afford one are hiring motorhomes– and demand is far outstripping supply.
Meaning ‘normal' people like you and me can cash in and make some money from their van when it's not being used.
Can Hiring Out My Motorhome Cover All Of My Costs?
A lot of people can’t travel in their motorhome as much as they’d like to. In an ideal world, you could live in it or at least take trips every weekend. But work, life, family and so many other things tend to get in the way. So your motorhome is left sitting on the driveway, and you feel guilty each time you remember what it costs.
But you don’t have to feel guilty, and you don’t have to be spending so much of your salary on your motorhome. Hiring out your motorhome allows someone else to experience the freedom of it while also covering all of your costs. It could even fund your next trip!
Hiring out your motorhome has never been easier, with platforms like Goboony handling everything for you, so all you have to do is hand over the keys!
Is renting out a campervan profitable?
Apparently, the average advertiser on Goboony earns £4750 per year. Which, frankly, is a nice boost to the travel fund. Of course, this depends on several factors, including:
- How many weeks do you plan to hire out?
- Will you hire out during the peak season (summer/ school holidays)?
- How much will you charge per day?
How much can you earn by hiring out your campervan?
How to hire out your van- different options
Once you've decided to hire out your motorhome or campervan, there are several options you can take:
- Use a sharing platform/ dedicated company, like GoBoony
- Do it independently, via your own website
- Use social media
- Hire only to friends/ family by word of mouth
Pros and cons of using a company/ sharing platform to hire out your camper
While you can of course rent your vehicle out privately, it can be a bit of a hassle, not just to find the bookings, but to worry about things like insurance etc.
Sharing platforms aim to make the whole process easier for you, not least because they have the customers already looking to hire a vehicle.
- It's free to register for most of them
- They have access to their own campervan insurance, so your vehicle is covered when being used by other people
- Customers are brought to you. Platforms have the marketing skills and spend to bring lots of potential customers to your motorhome, so you only have to focus on the bookings themselves.
- Customers may feel more comfortable using a site, as this offers them protection and secure payment providers.
- The company can advise you with any issues and offer mediation if a dispute arises.
- No costs are required, such as paying for a website or advertising. The people who are booking pay the service fee.
Disadvantages of using a company:
- Your price will have to be slightly lowered to accommodate for their service fee.
- Their terms and conditions will apply to your listing.
- You have to adjust to their calendar and pricing system.
- Less freedom with how you hire out your camper- you'll need to say in advance when the vehicle is available, so using your van for last-minute trips could be difficult.
Hiring out your motorhome isn't for everyone. However, given that it is free to list your van on a sharing platform like Goboony, you can always try it to see how you like it.
There are no commitments except to honour a booking you confirm, so you can take your motorhome off at any point.
Renting out your motorhome- tips for successful hires
There are plenty of motorhomes for hire nowadays, so how can you make your listing stand out? What can you do to ensure you earn as much as possible from your motorhome?
- Have plenty of photos on your listing. Aim to capture your motorhome from every angle and include shots of the interior. Use some of your photos from motorhome holidays as well, to show your camper in gorgeous locations.
- Start with slightly lower prices than the competition. Then once you have some great reviews, you can increase your price.
- Customers respond well to a personalised profile and listing with plenty of
information. Be sure to tell them what you love about travelling in your motorhome!
- Highlight all of the amenities your motorhome offers and consider allowing pets or festivals, this will increase your number of bookings.
- Be clear on exactly how many berths/ belts are in your van, as well as what's provided.
Luckily, motorhome hire is more popular than ever, so there are plenty of travellers looking for one, and yours could be exactly what they had in mind!
FAQs about hiring out your motorhome through a company
We asked motorhome rental platform GoBoony to answer some of these FAQs about private motorhome and campervan hire through them:
How does the deposit work?
You set the amount for your deposit, and this is paid by the traveller before their trip. Any additional costs or damages would come directly from this deposit. If the deposit doesn't cover the amount, Goboony would contact the traveller to get the remaining balance for you.
What if fines come after the deposit is returned?
If you receive toll road costs or fines after the deposit has been returned to the traveller, they are still responsible for this and required to pay. This is included in Terms & Conditions that travellers agree to when hiring a vehicle.
How does insurance work when hiring out your campervan or motorhome?
When you hire out your motorhome on Goboony, you are able to use our insurance that covers peer to peer hire. This is our Goboony day insurance powered by Riverside Underwriting. This includes:
● Cover across the entire UK
● Breakdown and theft
● The policy is taken out by the person hiring your motorhome
● Competitive daily rates
● Does not affect the owner of the vehicle’s no claims bonus
● Covers an additional named driver
Do I pay tax if I rent out my motorhome?
Like all income, you must declare what you make to HMRC. If your earnings are above the tax threshold, you will need to pay tax on that income. Ask a financial advisor if you are unsure.
Intrigued? Feel like making some money from your motorhome? Try out GoBoony here for FREE and see if hiring out your campervan is worth it for YOU.
Want more tips for motorhome life?
Here are some more ideas you might find useful:
- Essential Motorhome accessories every van should have
- Best Sat-nav for motorhomes or campervans
- Motorhome Security– tips for at home and on the road
- How to get Internet in a motorhome
- Europe- essential gear for travelling to Europe
- Best gift ideas for motorhome and campervan owners
Want FREE checklists, eBooks and additional tips to help? Visit our resource page