If you're looking for the best sat nav for a motorhome, campervan or caravan, you're in the right place. Here, we compare and review the best motorhome sat navs on the market- and help you choose the right one for you!
*We work hard to make this the best motorhome blog and road trip website possible, full of helpful content for you. The website is supported by our readers, so if you buy through links on this site we may earn a commission- at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.
If you find this post useful, you can also treat us to a coffee at the bottom of this page- we promise to enjoy it while creating more useful content like this- we might even indulge in a biscuit (or two!)
Which is the best motorhome sat nav?
Looking for the best motorhome sat nav? Feeling a little overwhelmed by all the motorhome, campervan and caravan sat navs on the market? Wondering if you even really NEED one anymore- or if Google maps will do (spoiler- it won't!)
Today, we're sharing the best motorhome sat navs on the market and helping you understand the pros and cons of each model so you can choose the best system for you, whether you're exploring the UK or setting off to tour Europe in a motorhome.
Each system has different abilities- and it's important to choose the right option- there's no point buying a motorhome sat nav if you can't input the dimensions of your camper (or caravan!) Knowing which routes to pick and which ones you need to avoid can really make planning motorhome trips so much easier!
Why do you need a dedicated sat-nav for a motorhome or caravan?
We all agree that driving a motorhome, caravan or even a campervan has several problems you just don't face in a car. Taller, wider and longer- it's easier to get stuck in a narrow road and a LOT harder to turn around/ reverse out of the area- especially if you're like us and tow a trailer behind your motorhome!
We rarely use a sat nav in our cars. But in the motorhome, we very much want to avoid low bridges, narrow lanes, town centres.
Driving a caravan has similar complications- you want to be sure the road you're heading down is right- reversing with a trailer or caravan attached is no fun! That's why getting a dedicated motorhome or caravan sat nav is important. In fact, it's SO important that it made our list of the top 21 essential motorhome accessories EVERY van should have!
The problem is, there are many (MANY!) caravan and motorhome sat navs on the market which MIGHT do what you want… but what do you want?
Hopefully, this post will help you narrow down the options and find the best one for you.
How to choose the best GPS motorhome sat nav for you
I'll be honest- a sat-nav is not the place to try and save money. After all, this little box is going to be working pretty hard. You definitely need to make sure you get one which is up to the task! And depending on where you're travelling or living on the road, it may affect what you get.
Look at the following criteria and decide what you NEED and what you would like from your sat nav:
- Ability to input height and width (essential!)
- Ability to input motorhome weight (useful if you have a vehicle over 3.5 tonnes)
- Works in Europe (if you're planning to take your motorhome to Europe! More on that later.)
- Turns into a rear-camera when reversing (SOOOO useful if you don't already have one!)
- Do you want your GPS or sat nav to show you campsites? (In my opinion, there are better options to find these)
- Do you want it to have a dashcam or Bluetooth connection so it can sync with your phone? (Again, nice to have but probably not essential)
- Size of screen- too small might be annoying to see, too large could block your vision
- If you're looking for the best caravan sat nav, make sure the unit can be programmed with or without your caravan, so you can still use it as a car satellite navigation system if you want to.
These are just some of the features offered by the biggest and best motorhome sat-nav manufacturers. It's up to you to decide which ones are right for you- and which you can live without.
Should you get a dashboard mounted or a fully-integrated motorhome sat nav?
There are several types of motorhome sat nav. Here's how to choose which is best for you:
Dashboard mounted motorhome sat nav
A dashboard mounted unit is exactly what it sounds like- an external unit mounted onto your dashboard.
Pros of these are that they are fairly easy to buy, install and use. If you get an option with a reversing camera, you may find it slightly harder, but not impossible. These are by far the most popular option and there are many more variations on the market.
Cons of a dashboard mounted motorhome sat nav is that they can be unslightly and sometimes even block the drivers view. They are also a potential target for thieves- so always remember to remove them from sight when not in use.
Integrated motorhome sat-nav with multimedia systems
Alternatively, you can buy a fully-integrated motorhome sat nav system (Also called an in-dash multimedia system). These are often already built into the motorhome or camper, but can be fitted later.
Pros: They look cleaner, can often be cheaper and are sometimes easier to update.
Cons: You need a network connection and they require data to work- not great if you enjoy touring in the mountains.
Motorhome sat nav app
One last option is to use an app with a phone or iPad. We have used the CoPilot GPS motorhome sat nav app for years and used to highly recommend it as a cheaper sat-nav option. Sadly, there seem to be some glitches lately (hence us wanting to upgrade to a proper motorhome sat nav!)
If you like using apps, here are 21 of the best road trip apps we recommend.
One more thing, if you are hiring a motorhome, make sure you know if they provide a sat-nav or not! It can really make a difference to the enjoyment of your holiday.
Ok, let's take a look at some of the best options on the market for motorhome and caravan sat-navs.
The best Motorhome sat nav options (which work for caravan sat nav too!)
The motorhome sat nav we have (and love!)
The TomTom GO Camper Max is one of the newest motorhome sat navs on the market and it is definitely worth considering. It allows you to input your vehicle dimensions to avoid low bridges and narrow streets on your route.
It also comes loaded with hundreds of POIs tailored to campervans and caravans, including campsites and popular tourist attractions.
Another great feature is the fuel- pricing; you can see the cheapest places to fill up on your journey. It also has the option for traffic and speed camera alerts.
The HD 7″ screen is easy to read and use while driving and it comes with world maps (and updates) as standard. I love how you can update these maps via wifi without needing to connect it to a computer.
EDITORS NOTE: We've now used this sat nav for several months, touring all around the UK, Germany, France and Switzerland and it's been brilliant.
My favourite feature is the scenic routing- the ability to enjoy the scenic routes but still have confidence that the roads are suitable for your motorhome. Watch our full review of the TomTom GO Camper Max after several months of use:
We hope you found the video useful. If you did, we'd love it if you followed us on Youtube. New videos with tips for motorhoming and campervanning in the UK and Europe are released weekly.
Disclaimer: TomTom supplied us with a TomTom GO Camper Max in exchange for an honest review. The important fact is that we continue to use it long after the review has been published because we genuinely love it!
- Routing design for motorhomes, campers and caravans
- Lots of POIs already included
- Large, easy-to-follow screen
- Speed camera alerts
- Reliable traffic updates
- More expensive than some other available models
- No instructions included- can be a bit of a learning curve to set up and understand all the symbols.
- Can be heavy on phone battery life when connected
RECOMMENDED FOR: Motorhome drivers who need to clearly see and hear their sat nav, and want a large screen to use, as well as lots of POIs and other features included.
I love this option which has a reversing camera (useful for towing), works in Europe, has traffic reports, wi-fi AND Bluetooth. It might even make you a cup of coffee if you ask it nicely! Other features include:
- Large, easy-to-read framless Sat nav screen (6.95-inch edge-to-edge);
- Multi-touch, high-resolution, full colour display. The colour display is very easy to read at any time.
- Detailed maps of 46 European countries, plus many buildings and terrain features in 3D and TripAdvisor POIs. Includes map updates via built-in WiFi.
- The reversing camera is very easy to fit (PLEASE ensure compatibility before purchase here) and you can then see what happens behind you
- If you don't need a reversing camera, you can get this model instead
- Drive safer with vehicle-specific routes which take into account the dimensions and weight of your vehicle. Driver assistance warns you of gradients/incline, sharp curves and weight and altitude limits.
- Includes directory of campsites including ACSI campsites with search filter and live parking information for parking at your destination, PLUS Campercontact campsites, NKC Campercontact motorhome sites and free Trailer's Park parking spaces. In addition, Garmin, Foursquare and TripAdvisor POIs.
- Live traffic information via DAB+ and Garmin Drive app: you get traffic information in real time.
- Smartphone compatible
- Road conditions and traffic warnings are included.
- Free map updates
- Live services need an active internet connection
- No built in dash cam, although you can pay extra to install one.
- High initial cost
BEST FOR: Drivers who want to enjoy a fully integrated system, including Trip Advisor reviews of nearby locations.
NOTE: You can also get the Garmin 780 without the reversing camera here
Garmin Camper 1090 Caravan/Motorhome Sat Nav with 10-Inch Display, European Maps and Directories for Caravan Parks and Services
If you want top-of-the-range and the best of the best, this is the sat nav for you. There's a reason Garmin are dominating the market at the moment; they really are very good units- and this is their flagship model, new in 2021.
- Extra-large Camper sat-nav with 10″ edge to edge screen; high-resolution touch display and options for portrait and landscape mode
- Custom routing and planning for the size and weight of your camper, motorhome or caravan/towable trailer
- Map updates included: preloaded street maps for Full Europe (46 countries, including UK & Ireland).
- Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity for easy map and software updates without a computer
- Provides warnings to keep you aware of steep grades, sharp curves, weight limits and more
- Preloaded directories of Caravan/Motorhome parks and services from ACSI, CamperContact, and Trailer’s PARK, which can be filtered by preferred amenities such as showers, electricity and more. Plus content from iOverlander, TripAdvisor traveler ratings and Foursquare
- Can be touch or voice-controlled, and includes hands-free calling.
- Impressive 10” Display
- Caravan park directories included for all of Europe as standard
- Size and weight of motorhome are considered when planning routes
- Free map updates
- Larger screen size can be distracting for some drivers.
This also comes in the slightly smaller version- the Garmin 890 Camper. Has most of the same great features, but a slightly smaller screen (8″ instead of 10″)
This Avtex unit has been getting some GREAT reviews lately- shooting it up the list of best motorhome sat navs. It's apparently a collaboration between Avtex and Garmin, so there's a lot of knowledge to back up the tech.
Some of the highlights include:
- Road warnings for bridge heights, weight limits, steep gradients, sharp curves and more
- More than 9000 ACSI camp sites in the directory
- Listing for The Caravan and Motorhome Club
- Protective case and travel bag
- Easy to set up
- Good size screen
- Can get an attachment dash cam to work with it
- No operating manual
- No verbal lane position instructions, which some users don't like
This motorhome sat nav always gets great reviews. Snooper typically do truck and HGV sat-navs, so they know a thing or two about navigating large vehicles!
- Advanced satellite navigation for safe, efficient routing for drivers of caravans & motorhomes
- 7″ Touchscreen
- Free European map updates- for life!
- Over 31000 Campsite & POI's
- 12 Month Manufacturer warranty.
- Lane guidance and junction view promote safe driving
- Free maps for life for the UK and EU
- 7” crystal clear display
- Poor battery life
- No dash or reversing cameras
- Slow motorway exit notifications
- World maps can be expensive
BEST FOR: UK and Europe Caravan and motorhome owners looking for an excellent sat nav on a budget.
Sniper SN-701T Truck Nav with latest UK and Europe Maps, 7″ Sat Nav for Truck, Lorry, HGV, LCV, Motorhome, Caravans
Sniper released this sat nav for trucks, campers and motorhomes. This sat nav includes accurate maps of the UK and Europe alongside an amazing 7” display, all for under two hundred pounds.
- No subscriptions or registration required
- Free maps of 58 countries included
- 28 languages supported
- Cost effective
- Post code location search
- Protective case and travel bag
- Free maps of the UK and EU included
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Free maps of the UK and EU included
- Bluetooth connectivity
Best For: Campervan owners looking for a quality device on a very tight budget.
TomTom Truck Sat Nav GO Professional 620 with European Maps and Traffic Services, Updates via WI-FI, Designed for Motorhome, camper, truck, Coach, Bus and Large Vehicles
- Get routes which take into account your large vehicle’s dimensions, weight, cargo and max speed
- Regular updated EU Maps via wifi.
- TomTom traffic and services: Avoid getting stuck in traffic and know your precise arrival times.
- 6 Inch touchscreen plus mount: Secured by a specialised click-and-drive mount so you can view instructions clearly
- Hands-free calls and smartphone messages via Bluetooth: Enjoy the convenience of hands-free calling and messages read out loud
- Large vehicle POIs: Know where to fuel up, take a rest, and service your vehicle. Compiled by DKV and ParkyourBus, your TomTom GO Professional truck sat nav brings you 50,000 POIs for large vehicles
- Points of interests POI logging is enabled
- Live traffic and speed camera updates
- Fast downloads for wifi software updates
- Only 12 months free access to speed camera updates
- No reverse or dash cameras
- Not custom built for motorhomes
This is another newer motorhome sat nav which is gaining great reviews. It's a MUCH cheaper option than some of the other sat navs in this list- making it perfect for anyone on a budget.
Some of the highlights include:
- Optional sunshade- allowing you to see the screen clearly at all times of day or night
- 7 inch touchscreen with simple navigation
- 2D & 3D views
- Lifetime map updates included
- Camping stops, shops, ATMs and more included on maps
- Voice navigation
- The ability to use it for music, watching films or reading eBooks (when not driving, of course!)
- Lifetime free maps access
- Navigation does not require a network connection, so no roaming charges
- One of the cheapest sat navs to make the list
- Not specially designed for campers or mobile homes
- No reversing or dash cameras
- No speed camera updates
BEST FOR: Anyone searching for a basic but reliable sat nav for a very reasonable price.
Garmin Camper 890MT-D Advanced Camper Sat Nav with 8 Inch Touch Display, Digital Traffic and Voice-Activated Navigation
This 8″ GPS satellite navigation unit for motorhomes, caravans or campers features a bright borderless touch screen so you can easily see important information.
- The Camper 890 takes into account the size and weight of the motorhome to find the best path
- You can also store the profiles of various vehicles or trailers.
- Wide database of camper stops for caravans and motorhomes in Western Europe and also free rest stop information with Trailer's PARK
- Hands-free: Smartphone notifications, voice activated navigation, hands-free calls via Bluetooth
- Built-in dash-cam for accident detection; front collision alert and lane output
- 8 Inch screen
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Live traffic updates
- Worldwide maps
- It can make mistakes
- Could be cheaper
- Setting up this device for your vehicle can take time
BEST FOR: World travellers, as maps of Europe, South America, Australia, North America, Africa and Asia are all included in this device.
TomTom Camper Sat Nav, 6 Inch, with Updates Via Wi-Fi, Camper and Caravan POIs, Worldwide Lifetime Maps, TomTom Road Trips
One of the most popular motorhome sat navs on the market.
- Updates via Wi-Fi: Get the latest maps and software for your TomTom GO CAMPER with built-in Wi-Fi; no computer needed
- Camper and caravan POIs: Find detailed points of interest dedicated for campers and caravans
- TomTom road trips: Discover the world's best routes, personalise them easily so you can relax and be guided on the ride
- TomTom mydrive: Plan routes, check live traffic and save favourites from your smartphone, tablet or PC
- Professional sat navigation for large vehicles
- Interactive maps on a crystal clear 6” display.
- Cheaper than other Tom Tom camper sat navs
- Avoid fines with speedcam updates
- 6” display can be difficult for some people to see while driving
- Only maps of europe included as standard
- Speed camera alerts cost you money after 6 months
A new model for cars towing caravans and smaller campers
- Regular updated EU Maps: Drive on the right roads for your vehicle with specialised routing for vehicle size, weight, and max. speed to arrive relaxed and on time
- 3 months of TomTom traffic and services via built-in SIM: Avoid getting stuck in traffic
- Updates via Wi-Fi: quaterly EU map updates
- 5 Inch touchscreen plus mount
- Bluetooth connectivity for your convenience
- Great value for money
- Speed camera and live traffic updates
- Text to speech
- Small screen size
- Only maps of Europe
- Not specifically designed for campers and motorhomes
BEST FOR: Caravan drivers who want an affordable item from TomTom that they can put in their tow car.
3 Best motorhome sat nav Multimedia systems
If you want a multimedia system which can also be used for satellite navigation, here are some of the best.
- Bluetooth and navigation with Apple CarPlay maps quickly via plug and play – USB port on the front
- Voice control with Apple CarPlay;
- Clear, responsive 6.2 Inch touch screen in colour
- Impressive audio quality with 4 x 55 W, EXTRA BASS and 10 band equalizer
- Listen to a wide range of shows with DAB radio
- Connects to a rear view camera for easy viewing
- Clear screen
- Apple and Android compatible
- Good sound
- Installation is not always simple and might require a professional
This multimedia player is at the top end of the Pioneer range.
- Apple CarPlay with 6.2″ Glass Capacitive Touchscreen.
- High Voltage Output : 4 V
- DAB+/FM/AM Radio Tuner with Custom Button Illumination
- Rear USB, Aux In, 3 Pre-Outs and Steering Wheel Control
- Bluetooth Hands-free & Audio Streaming
- Compatible for smart phone that are IOS or Android
- Great value for money
- Andoid Auto connected
- Apple CarPlay compatible
- Not compatible for all devices
- It was not designed specifically for motorhomes
- No dash cams or reversing cameras
BEST FOR: Drivers who use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto for using your sat nav as an extension to your mobile device
Kenwood DMX120BT Digital Media Receiver with 6.8″ High Gloss Touch Panel, Bluetooth, Android USB Mirroring, 4 x 50 Watt, Black
Honestly, this is probably bought more for the radio system than the sat nav- but it's very popular with campervanners and as a caravan sat nav, so we thought we'd include it.
- 6-inch screen with BT hands-free function and audio streaming
- two phones can be paired at the same time
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatible
- Spotify control function
- connection for rear view camera; 3 pre-outs (front, rear, sub) with 4 volts
- Kenwood Remote App
- CD/DVD drive and rear USB port for storage media with video films
When we got our first motorhome, we decided to try a new system which used offline maps, worked on our existing phones or iPads AND which took the width and height of our vehicle into account- all for less than £40!
Sounds too good to be true, yes? Well… sort of.
Co-Pilot has changed a bit in the last 12 months, but here's our review so you can decide which sat-nav option is best for you.
If you want a dedicated motorhome or caravan sat-nav (which we highly recommend), then the units above will definitely do the job for you!
How else can I help you today??
– I want to learn more about motorhome TVs
- Top tips for cleaning your motorhome