If you're looking for the best sat nav for a motorhome, campervan or caravan, you're in the right place. Here, we compare and review the best motorhome sat navs on the market- and help you choose the best one for you!
*We work hard to make this the best motorhome blog and road trip website possible, full of helpful content for you. The website is supported by our readers, so if you buy through links on this site we may earn a commission- at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.
If you find this post useful, you can also treat us to a coffee at the bottom of this page- we promise to enjoy it while creating more useful content like this- we might even indulge in a biscuit (or two!)
Looking for the best motorhome sat nav? Feeling a little overwhelmed by all the motorhome, campervan and caravan sat navs on the market? Wondering if you even really NEED one anymore- or if Google maps will do (spoiler- it won't!)
Today, we're sharing the best motorhome sat navs on the market (updated for 2020) and helping you understand the pros and cons of each model so you can choose the best system for you, whether you're exploring the UK or setting off to tour Europe in a motorhome.
Each system has different abilities- and it's important to choose the right option- there's no point buying a motorhome sat nav if you can't input the dimensions of your camper (or caravan!) Knowing which routes to pick and which ones you need to avoid can really make planning motorhome trips so much easier!
If you're in a hurry, here are the best motorhome and caravan sat navs which we'll be reviewing today
BEST Motorhome Sat Navs- dash-mounted:
- Great all-rounder (with reversing camera): Garmin Camper 780 MT-D 6.95 Inch Motorhome Sat Nav
- Possibly the most advanced (and largest) sat nav ever: Garmin Camper 1090 Caravan/Motorhome Sat Nav with 10-Inch Display
- Avtex Tourer Two Motorhome and Caravan Sat Nav
- Snooper S6900 Ventura Motorhome Sat Nav
- Aguri Motorhome & Caravan RV720 DVR Deluxe 7″ Sat Nav
- TomTom Truck Motorhome Sat Nav GO Professional 6250
- Anorex GPS Motorhome Sat Nav with sunshade
- Garmin Camper 785 Advanced Camper Motorhome Sat Nav
- TomTom Camper Sat Nav
- Ventura S8100 Caravan and Motorhome
- TomTom Trucker 6000 GPS Motorhome Sat-Nav
Best Motorhome sat navs- multimedia systems:
Co-Pilot GPS Motorhome Sat Nav App
Why do you need a dedicated sat-nav for a motorhome or caravan?
We all agree that driving a motorhome, caravan or even a campervan has several problems you just don't face in a car. Taller, wider and longer- it's easier to get stuck in a narrow road and a LOT harder to turn around/ reverse out of the area- especially if you're like us and tow a trailer behind your motorhome!
We rarely use a sat nav in our cars. But in the motorhome, we very much want to avoid low bridges, narrow lanes, town centres.
Driving a caravan has similar complications- you want to be sure the road you're heading down is right- reversing with a trailer or caravan attached is no fun! That's why getting a dedicated motorhome or caravan sat nav is important. In fact, it's SO important that it made our list of the top 21 essential motorhome accessories EVERY van should have!
The problem is, there are many (MANY!) caravan and motorhome sat navs on the market which MIGHT do what you want… but what do you want?
Hopefully, this post will help you narrow down the options and find the best one for you.
How to choose the best GPS motorhome sat nav for you
I'll be honest- a sat-nav is not the place to try and save money- after all, this little box is going to be working pretty hard. You definitely need to make sure you get one which is up to the task! And depending on where you're travelling or living on the road, it may affect what you get.
Look at the following criteria and decide what you NEED and what you would like from your sat nav:
- Ability to input height and width (essential!)
- Ability to input motorhome weight (useful if you have a vehicle over 3.5 tonnes)
- Works in Europe (if you're planning to take your motorhome to Europe! More on that later.)
- Turns into a rear-camera when reversing (SOOOO useful if you don't already have one!)
- Do you want your GPS or sat nav to show you campsites? (In my opinion, there are better options to find these)
- Do you want it to have a dashcam or Bluetooth connection so it can sync with your phone? (Again, nice to have but probably not essential)
- Size of screen- too small might be annoying to see, too large could block your vision
- If you're looking for the best caravan sat nav, make sure the unit can be programmed with or without your caravan, so you can still use it as a car satellite navigation system if you want to.
These are just some of the features offered by the biggest and best motorhome sat-nav manufacturers. It's up to you to decide which ones are right for you- and which you can live without.
Should you get a dashboard mounted or a fully-integrated motorhome sat nav?
Dashboard mounted motorhome sat nav
A dashboard mounted unit is exactly what it sounds like- an external unit mounted onto your dashboard.
Pros of these are that they are fairly easy to buy, install and use. If you get an option with a reversing camera, you may find it slightly harder, but not impossible. These are by far the most popular option and there are many more variations on the market.
Cons of a dashboard mounted motorhome sat nav is that they can be unslightly and sometimes even block the drivers view. They are also a potential target for thieves- so always remember to remove them from sight when not in use.
Integrated motorhome sat-nav with multimedia systems
Alternatively, you can buy a fully-integrated motorhome sat nav system (Also called an in-dash multimedia system). These are often already built into the motorhome or camper, but can be fitted later.
Pros: They look cleaner, can often be cheaper and are sometimes easier to update.
Cons: You need a network connection and they require data to work- not great if you enjoy touring in the mountains.
Motorhome sat nav app
One last option is to use an app with a phone or iPad. We have used the CoPilot GPS motorhome sat nav app for years and used to highly recommend it as a cheaper sat-nav option. Sadly, there seem to be some glitches lately (hence us wanting to upgrade to a proper motorhome sat nav!)
If you like using apps, here are 21 of the best road trip apps we recommend.
One more thing, if you are hiring a motorhome, make sure you know if they provide a sat-nav or not! It can really make a difference to the enjoyment of your holiday.
Ok, let's take a look at some of the best options on the market for motorhome and caravan sat-navs.
The best Motorhome sat nav options (which work for caravan sat nav too!)
Garmin Camper 780 MT-D EU with Garmin Reversing Camera – Sat Nav for Motorhomes & Caravans, 6.95″ Colour Touch Display, 3D Maps for Europe (46 Countries) + Garmin BC 40 Wireless Reversing Camera
I love this option which has a reversing camera (useful for towing), works in Europe, has traffic reports, wi-fi AND Bluetooth. It might even make you a cup of coffee if you ask it nicely! Other features include:
- Large, easy-to-read framless Sat nav screen (6.95-inch edge-to-edge);
- Multi-touch, high-resolution, full colour display. The colour display is very easy to read at any time.
- Detailed maps of 46 European countries, plus many buildings and terrain features in 3D and TripAdvisor POIs. Includes map updates via built-in WiFi.
- The reversing camera is very easy to fit (PLEASE ensure compatibility before purchase here) and you can then see what happens behind you
- Drive safer with vehicle-specific routes which take into account the dimensions and weight of your vehicle. Driver assistance warns you of gradients/incline, sharp curves and weight and altitude limits.
- Includes directory of campsites including ACSI campsites with search filter and live parking information for parking at your destination, PLUS Campercontact campsites, NKC Campercontact motorhome sites and free Trailer's Park parking spaces. In addition, Garmin, Foursquare and TripAdvisor POIs.
- Live traffic information via DAB+ and Garmin Drive app: you get traffic information in real time.
NOTE: You can also get the Garmin 780 without the reversing camera here
Garmin Camper 1090 Caravan/Motorhome Sat Nav with 10-Inch Display, European Maps and Directories for Caravan Parks and Services
If you want top-of-the-range and the best of the best, this is the sat nav for you. There's a reason Garmin are dominating the market at the moment; they really are very good units- and this is their flagship model, new in 2021.
- Extra-large Camper sat-nav with 10″ edge to edge screen; high-resolution touch display and options for portrait and landscape mode
- Custom routing and planning for the size and weight of your camper, motorhome or caravan/towable trailer
- Map updates included : preloaded street maps for Full Europe (46 countries, including UK & Ireland).
- Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity for easy map and software updates without a computer
- Provides warnings to keep you aware of steep grades, sharp curves, weight limits and more
- Preloaded directories of Caravan/Motorhome parks and services from ACSI, CamperContact, and Trailer’s PARK, which can be filtered by preferred amenities such as showers, electricity and more. Plus content from iOverlander, TripAdvisor traveler ratings and Foursquare
- Can be touch or voice controlled, and includes hands-free calling.
This also comes in the slightly smaller version- the Garmin 890 Camper. Has most of the same great features, but a slightly smaller screen (8″ instead of 10″)
This Avtex unit has been getting some GREAT reviews lately- shooting it up the list of best motorhome sat navs for 2020.
Some of the highlights include:
- Road warnings for bridge heights, weight limits, steep gradients, sharp curves and more
- More than 9000 ACSI camp sites in the directory
- Listing for The Caravan and Motorhome Club
- Protective case and travel bag
This motorhome sat nav always gets great reviews. Snooper typically do truck and HGV sat-navs, so they know a thing or two about navigating large vehicles!
- Advanced satellite navigation for safe, efficient routing for drivers of caravans & motorhomes
- 7″ Touchscreen
- Free European map updates- for life!
- Over 31000 Campsite & POI's
- 12 Month Manufacturer warranty.
Aguri Motorhome & Caravan RV720 DVR Deluxe 7″ Sat Nav with Built-in Dash Cam, Wi-Fi and full UK & European mapping
I like the idea of a built-in dash-cam. Seems to make a lot of sense- just be careful where you mount the sat-nav so it doesn't obscure your vision.
- Free map updates for life. Preloaded with the latest Motorhome & Caravan specialist street level mapping covering all of Europe and the UK. Enter the attributes of your vehicle and RV720 DVR will calculate a safe and trustworthy route avoiding weight, height and width restrictions. Works straight out of the box. No registration required. Free wireless updates.
- New brighter screen with excellent off-axis viewing and enhanced speaker! Includes extensive Specialist POIs. Over 30,000 caravan sites, campsites and motorhome stopover locations including The Caravan Club, Camping and Caravanning Club, Camperstop plus thousands more all preloaded and ready to use.
- Junction view and Lane view. Advanced visual warning of the next junction or major intersection. Plus, Text to speech (TTS) directional voice alerts including road name or number. For safer navigation.
- Speed trap & speed limit alert system with FREE wireless updates. Advance warning of all types of fixed speed traps and mobile speed trap hotspots available from Aguri's all new Speedshield speed trap data services. Plus, displays the speed limit of most roads across Europe at all times. Comes preloaded with the latest Speedshield speed trap database so you can start using it straight out of the box.
- Built-in DVR dash cam. Prove what really happened and protect your no claims bonus with Aguri's fully integrated 1080P High Definition DVR dash cam with 150 degree wide-angle lens
- Protective case and travel bag
TomTom Truck Sat Nav GO Professional 6250 with European Maps and Traffic Services (Via SIM), Updates via WI-FI, Designed for Motorhome, camper, truck, Coach, Bus and Large Vehicles
- Get routes which take into account your large vehicle’s dimensions, weight, cargo and max speed
- Updating your motorhome sat nav has never been easier: Keep your TomTom GO PROFESSIONAL updated via WiFi. No computer needed.
- Stopped traffic alerts: Avoid sudden braking with alerts for imminent traffic
- Hands-free calling & Smartphone message – Have text messages read out from your smartphones & stay connected with hands-free calling
This is another newer motorhome sat nav which is gaining great reviews. It's a MUCH cheaper option than some of the other sat navs in this list- making it perfect for anyone on a budget.
Some of the highlights include:
- Optional sunshade- allowing you to see the screen clearly at all times of day or night
- 7 inch touchscreen with simple navigation
- 2D & 3D views
- Lifetime map updates included
- Camping stops, shops, ATMs and more included on maps
- Voice navigation
- The ability to use it for music, watching films or reading eBooks (when not driving, of course!)
Garmin Camper 785 Advanced Camper Sat Nav with Built-in Dash Cam, 7 Inch Touch Display, Traffic and Voice-Activated Navigation
This 7″ GPS satellite naviagtion unit for motorhomes, caravans or campers features a bright borderless touch screen so you can easily see important information.
- The Camper 785 takes into account the size and weight of the motorhome to find the best path
- You can also store the profiles of various vehicles or trailers.
- Wide database of camper stops for caravans and motorhomes in Western Europe and also free rest stop information with Trailer's PARK
- Hands-free: Smartphone notifications, voice activated navigation, hands-free calls via Bluetooth
- Built-in dash-cam for accident detection; front collision alert and lane output
TomTom Camper Sat Nav, 6 Inch, with Updates Via Wi-Fi, Camper and Caravan POIs, Worldwide Lifetime Maps, TomTom Road Trips
One of the most popular motorhome sat navs on the market.
- Updates via Wi-Fi: Get the latest maps and software for your TomTom GO CAMPER with built-in Wi-Fi; no computer needed
- Camper and caravan POIs: Find detailed points of interest dedicated for campers and caravans
- TomTom road trips: Discover the world's best routes, personalise them easily so you can relax and be guided on the ride
- TomTom mydrive: Plan routes, check live traffic and save favourites from your smartphone, tablet or PC
- Professional sat navigation for large vehicles
A highly regarding GPS satellite navigation system from motorhomes, campervans and caravans
- European Mapping included
- 7inch LCD display
- Enhanced Audio
- Over 24,000 campsites across 31 countries preloaded
TomTom Trucker 6000 GPS Sat-Nav with Full European (Including UK) Lifetime Maps. Designed for Caravan, Motor-homes, trucks and other Large Vehicles
An older model for motorhomes, caravans and campers, but still worth a look.
- Customised routes for your vehicle type, size, weight and speed
- Receive an updated map 4 times a year
- Get a realistic estimated time of arrival
- Receive real-time traffic information across Europe
3 Best motorhome sat nav Multimedia systems
If you want a multimedia system which can also be used for a satellite navigation, here are some of the best.
This unit is only compatible with Apple CarPlay- so you need Apple phones/ products. It has a smaller screen than some of the other options, but the price is good for what it offers
- Apple CarPlay ONLY- with voice control
- USB port on the front
- 6.2″ colour touchscreen
- Good audio quality for the sound system
This multimedia player is at the top end of the Pioneer range and gives you a full-width display when using mapping (which cheaper models often don't).
- Full width 7″ touchscreen display
- Apple CarPlay, iPhone or Android compatible with one single cable
- DAB/DAB+ digital radio audio/video
- Plays from CDs and DVDs
- Has Bluetooth, to stream music or call hands-free
- Compatible with most reversing cameras.
Honestly, this is probably bought more for the radio system than the sat nav- but it's very popular with campervanners and as a caravan sat nav, so we thought we'd include it.
- 6-inch screen with BT hands-free function and audio streaming
- two phones can be paired at the same time
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatible
- Spotify control function
- connection for rear view camera; 3 pre-outs (front, rear, sub) with 4 volts
- Kenwood Remote App
- CD/DVD drive and rear USB port for storage media with video films
When we got our first motorhome, we decided to try a new system which used offline maps, worked on our existing phones or iPads AND which took the width and height of our vehicle into account- all for less than £40!
Sounds too good to be true, yes? Well… sort of.
Co-Pilot has changed a bit in the last 12 months, but here's our review so you can decide which sat-nav option is best for you.
If you want a dedicated motorhome or caravan sat-nav (which we highly recommend), then the units above will definitely do the job for you!
How else can I help you today??
– I want to learn more about motorhome TVs
- Top tips for cleaning your motorhome