Getting a Motorhome (or Campervan, or RV!) is exciting… but then you have to fill it! You need to consider weight allowances, storage and usefulness- and sometimes that can just be a bit daunting!! Still, we're here for you! Here's our Motorhome & Campervan Essential Kit packing list- take lots of notes and start making your own!
(This post was originally part of the 21 day Road Trip Countdown, which gives you a list of tasks to do each day before your road trip. If you want to see the full list of tasks, here’s the main page: Road Trip Travel Checklist- Countdown to Departure. It has been updated to include the latest rules and equipment needed.)
Planning a Road Trip?? These posts might help:
– Inspire me with INCREDIBLE Road Trip ideas
(There’s an excellent chance this post contains affiliate links, meaning if you buy through them we get a small commission which allows us to keep this site going. We appreciate your support- thank you. Wandering Bird Adventures is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com/ amazon.co.uk)
Campervan Essential Kit- Packing List
We'll be dealing with food very soon…. I'm working myself up to it as it's the part of road trip planning which I enjoy the least. 🙁 But I promise we will get there.
As I type this, I am surrounded by piles of clothes. Normally, I just throw whatever's clean in the motorhome and we're good to go… but we're going off for 5 weeks. Not only that, we're going to Norway, where sometimes it's blissfully hot (today it was 24C in Oslo) and other times it's freezing cold and threatening to rain. Apparently, this can happen within hours of each other. So we need to be prepared for all eventualities!
I figure if I list what I'm planning to take for us, you can scale accordingly for your road trip. One day soon I'll just be able to have everything in the van ready to go and won't need to worry about this- but alas, today is not that day! My plan in Norway is to try and limit the times we need to do laundry. Once every two weeks would be AMAZING, as I hear laundrettes are hard to find. So I'm hoping to take enough of everything to be able to do that… wish me luck!
So, are you sitting comfortably? This may take a while!
Campervan Essential Kit- Clothes
In no particular order… it's boiling hot as I write this so beach stuff is on my mind!! 🙂
- Swimming costume/Bikini
- If you're going somewhere beachy, a lightweight coverup for the beach which protects arms/ shoulders if get too hot
- Scarf/ shawl
- Fluffy socks (in place of slippers!)
- Tights (I wear these under my bike gear)
- Knee support (because of course I run every single day on holiday…..not!)
- Sports Kit (see above) to include bra, socks, leggings, t-shirts
- iPhone arm holder (Wow- I give such a good impression of someone who exercises! We even carry a yoga mat onboard…!!)
- Shorts 2/3 pairs
- Skirts (1 long, 1 short)
- Dresses 1/2
- Jeans 2/3
- Combats/ lightweight trousers
- Joggers (For lounging, not exercise!)
- Tshirts- 3/4
- Vest Tops 4/5
- Hoody x 2
- Cardigan/ jumper x 2
- Warm hat/ scarf/ gloves (coz we seem to go up mountains a LOT!)
- Waterproof jacket (ideally one with fleece or layers which you can
- Jewellery if you're bringing it. (Bring small bag to put it in if going to beach)
- Walking shoes/ boots
- Cheap sandals for wearing at beach/ lake which might get wet
- Nice shoes for meal out (not that we'll be eating out much in Norway!)
- Trainers (for running!)
- Lightweight coat with hood
Campervan Essential Kit- Toiletries
- Body wash
- Jade's floof (the scrubby thing you use in a shower… we call it a floof. No idea why)
- Shaving kit
- Body Spray
- Face cream with SPF
- Face/ body wipes
- Night cream
- Eye cream
- Suntan lotion
- 50 strength suntan lotion
- Body lotion
- Antiseptic hand wash
- Leave in hair conditioning spray (Awesome for warm climates)
- Hair bands
- Cotton buds
- Cotton pads
- Medicine (including Contraception)
- Sanitary Protection
- Dry shampoo
- Glasses/ contacts/ contact solution
- SPARE GLASSES- just in case
- Foundation/ tinted moisturiser
- Eye shadow
- Eye liner
- Lip balm
- Lip stick
- Nail varnish/ remover
Medication (in addition to the first aid kit- you can find a list of that stuff here)
- Antiseptic throat spray
- Spray plaster
- Savlon wipes
- Cough medicine
- Antihistamine/ Hayfever tablets
- Bug bite cream
- Insect Spray
Campervan Essential Kit- other personal items
- Face cloths
- Beach towels/ rugs for sitting on
- Portable Charger
- Wifi Dongle
- USB charger
- Small Bag
- Beach bag/ backpack
- Kindle or books
- Beach games/ football/ Boules
- Electronic games
- Portable DVD player/ ipad (if downloading games/ video- try to do it before you leave)
- Spare batteries
TOP AMAZING TIP which blew my mind!
So, we were camped out by the beach and we got chatting to the lovely couple in the motorhome next to us. They were enjoying their retirement and had been motorhoming for many years. They had a fantastic van which they spent most of their time in, but when they invited us inside we notice that they didn't have much storage.
“Ah” said Mrs Awesome (we never did get around to exchanging names!) “We have lots of storage right here” and patted her cushions.
We looked confused for a moment, until she unzipped the cushion case and showed us their clothes. Inside the cushions. Seriously. They had one for underwear, one for scarves, hats, gloves etc; one for t-shirts and tops; one for blankets. Basically ANYTHING soft goes into a cushion.
This BLEW our tiny minds. What a fantastic idea- especially for 3 of us when we need more storage space. We've immediately acted on it, and now have several cushions stuffed with our blankets and other rarely used items (remember all that sports gear? I knew it would come in useful….!) As long as you pack the cushion fairly full, you cannot tell the difference at all. So much love for this tip- if it was you on the beach and you remember us, please leave us a comment below or get in touch. Was lovely chatting with you.
Anyway, that's more than enough for today! Let's get packing!!
(If you think I've missed anything, please let me know 🙂 )
How else can I help you today??
Know someone who might find this post useful? Share it with them on social media. Want to read it later? Here's the pin: