Welcome to Wandering Bird, where we talk about all things motorhoming, road trips & van life.
FREE checklists for you:
Hey, I'm Kat. Three years ago I quit my job as an air traffic controller to explore the UK & Europe by motorhome and motorbike. On this blog, we share tips and tricks to help you have amazing road trips, whether it's a quick weekend away or a 3-month tour of Europe.
I travel with my husband and our adorable cocker spaniel, Mac. This is us in the Italian Dolomites in 2019.
Here are some links to get you started and feel free to join our email list to get helpful vanlife tips & checklists, behind-the-scenes mistakes (of which there are sadly many!), and other helpful bonuses.
Your new favourite vanlife clothing is here!
We've put together some things we think might help you:
*We work hard to make this the best motorhome blog and road trip website possible, full of helpful content for you. The website is supported by our readers, so if you buy through links on this site we may earn a commission- at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.
If you find this post useful, you can also treat us to a coffee at the bottom of this page- we promise to enjoy it while creating more useful content like this- we might even indulge in a biscuit (or two!)
Need Kit for your motorhome/ van?
Here's everything we recommend for:
- Outdoor gear
- Indoor accessories
- Motorhome Security
- Wild camping/ off-grid life
- Europe Travel
- Travelling with dogs/ pets
- Travelling with kids
Motorhome Insurance & Breakdown
Several insurance companies you might get good quotes through:
Great deals on breakdown cover
UK breakdown cover- get quote here
Need European Breakdown cover? Get a quote here
Pre-trip checks and tyres
Need to book a ferry? Find the best deals at:
Itinerary ideas and places to visit
Get ideas for itineraries and places to visit on Wandering Bird here
(Some of these are currently on sale, just for you. Grab them for a discounted price while you can)
Hire Companies we recommend
Motorhome Republics the world's No1 motorhome rental site. They have bases for motorhome, campervan and car rental in 29 countries around the world, including the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Norway and other countries around Europe- as well as the USA, Canada, New Zealand and more.
They work with many smaller brands and motorhome hire companies to find you the best deals and prices- meaning you can just search one place instead of having to search them all!
FIND THE BEST DEALS HERE
Spaceship Rentals- luxury motorhomes in the UK
Spaceship rentals offer a range of custom-campervans and high-end motorhomes in the UK. They can offer vehicles which sleep from 2 to 7. They offer unlimited mileage and will hire to anyone over the age of 21.
They also offer one-way hires, airport collections and accessories for hire- perfect if you're flying in for your holiday.
FIND THE BEST DEALS HERE
Hire cars and hotels
Need to hire a car or small van? Europcar operates all over the world (despite their name!) and offers fantastic deals.
If you need hotels for yourself or if people are visiting you, we often find the best deals at booking.com. The more often you use them, the cheaper the rates get.
Other useful things:
Exploring the UK? Enjoy historic castles, gardens or stately homes? Join:
Road Trip Logbook
Want a way to record your road trips as they're happening, plus a great way to remember them for years to come? You need a logbook. One with plenty of space to record daily events, including places you stayed, visited and things you did, plus add notes, photos, drawings or whatever takes your fancy. One like this 🙂
Latest on the Blog
- Motorhoming in France- Your complete guidePlanning to go touring in France with a motorhome or campervan? There are some essential things you need to know before your trip, including important paperwork and kit to bring with you. Here's everything you need to know about motorhome travel in France.
- Wales Road Trip itinerary -15 unmissable places to visitPlanning a tour of Wales? Want to know the best places to visit on a Wales road trip? Here are 4 unmissable road trip itineraries that will take your breath away.
- Motorhoming in Germany- everything you need to knowPlanning a motorhome or campervan trip to Germany? Want to see some of the most incredible places in Europe? Here's everything you need to know to go campervanning or motorhoming in Germany, including routes and places to visit.
- How to Find Awesome Motorhome Campsites Near You (UK & EUROPE)Want to know how to find campsites for motorhomes, campervans or caravans in the UK and Europe? Here are the best sites we use to find places as we travel and plan our trips Don't …
- Perfect Isle of Skye Itinerary (with map!) for 1, 2 or 3 daysLooking for an amazing Isle of Skye road trip itinerary (with driving map?) Whether you have one day, two or even three days on Skye, there are PLENTY of things to do- even in the rain! Promise.
- 35 Awesome Camper gift ideas for him (motorhome/ caravan gifts for dad)Need camper gifts for Dad? Or practical gift ideas for your husband? These are the best camping, motorhome & camper gifts for men online