Welcome to Wandering Bird, where we talk about all things motorhoming, road trips & van life.
FREE checklists for you:
Hey, I'm Kat. Three years ago I quit my job as an air traffic controller to explore the UK & Europe by motorhome and motorbike. On this blog, we share tips and tricks to help you have amazing road trips, whether it's a quick weekend away or a 3-month tour of Europe.
I travel with my husband and our adorable cocker spaniel, Mac. This is us in the Italian Dolomites in 2019.
Here are some links to get you started and feel free to join our email list to get helpful vanlife tips & checklists, behind-the-scenes mistakes (of which there are sadly many!), and other helpful bonuses.
Your new favourite vanlife clothing is here!
Welcome to the Wandering Bird Clothing & Sticker Shop!
This website is entirely supported by readers just like you. Anything you purchase here goes towards funding the websites and helps us make more great content to help you on your next road trip.
We are proud to support a small UK business who creates these fantastic & high-quality items. Thanks for helping us support them.
We've put together some things we think might help you:
*We work hard to make this the best motorhome blog and road trip website possible, full of helpful content for you. The website is supported by our readers, so if you buy through links on this site we may earn a commission- at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.
If you find this post useful, you can also treat us to a coffee at the bottom of this page- we promise to enjoy it while creating more useful content like this- we might even indulge in a biscuit (or two!)
Need Kit for your motorhome/ van?
Here's everything we recommend for:
- Outdoor gear
- Indoor accessories
- Motorhome Security
- Wild camping/ off-grid life
- Europe Travel
- Travelling with dogs/ pets
- Travelling with kids
Motorhome Insurance & Breakdown
Several insurance companies you might get good quotes through:
Great deals on breakdown cover
UK breakdown cover- get quote here
Need European Breakdown cover? Get a quote here
Pre-trip checks and tyres
Need to book a ferry? Find the best deals at:
Itinerary ideas and places to visit
Get ideas for itineraries and places to visit on Wandering Bird here
(Some of these are currently on sale, just for you. Grab them for a discounted price while you can)
Hire Companies we recommend
Motorhome Republics the world's No1 motorhome rental site. They have bases for motorhome, campervan and car rental in 29 countries around the world, including the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Norway and other countries around Europe- as well as the USA, Canada, New Zealand and more.
They work with many smaller brands and motorhome hire companies to find you the best deals and prices- meaning you can just search one place instead of having to search them all!
FIND THE BEST DEALS HERE
Spaceship Rentals- luxury motorhomes in the UK
Spaceship rentals offer a range of custom-campervans and high-end motorhomes in the UK. They can offer vehicles which sleep from 2 to 7. They offer unlimited mileage and will hire to anyone over the age of 21.
They also offer one-way hires, airport collections and accessories for hire- perfect if you're flying in for your holiday.
FIND THE BEST DEALS HERE
Hire cars and hotels
Need to hire a car or small van? Europcar operates all over the world (despite their name!) and offers fantastic deals.
If you need hotels for yourself or if people are visiting you, we often find the best deals at booking.com. The more often you use them, the cheaper the rates get.
Other useful things:
Exploring the UK? Enjoy historic castles, gardens or stately homes? Join:
Road Trip Logbook
Want a way to record your road trips as they're happening, plus a great way to remember them for years to come? You need a logbook. One with plenty of space to record daily events, including places you stayed, visited and things you did, plus add notes, photos, drawings or whatever takes your fancy. One like this 🙂
Latest on the Blog
- Cleaning your Motorhome Water Tank (the easy way)Concerned about cleaning your motorhome water tank? Want to sterilise the freshwater tank on your camper or caravan? Here's what you need to do to ensure safe drinking water in your van. Don't forget to …
- Motorhome Wild Camping- Everything you need to knowEver wanted to go wild camping in your campervan or motorhome, but weren't sure on the rules or how to find free places to stay? This post shares everything you need to know about motorhome wild camping and how to find off-grid parking spots with a motorised vehicle in the UK & Europe.
- Hiring out Your Motorhome or Campervan: Is it worth it?Ever thought of making money from your motorhome when you're not using it? Want to know if hiring out your campervan is worth it? Here's a guide on how to hire out your van and …
- ACSI Membership REVIEW- is it worth it? (& how to use)Planning a trip to Europe with your motorhome, campervan or caravan? Want to use campsites and are able to travel outside of peak season? Then the ACSI camping card is perfect for you.
- ECOFLOW River Review: Don't Buy before you read thisRecently, I reviewed the Jackery Explorer 500. Very shortly afterwards, Ecoflow contacted me and suggested I might be interested in reviewing their River 600 Max powerbank. I'll be honest, I was intrigued. Jackery are prolific …
- Working On the Road: Our Biggest Mistake (& 29 essential Tips!)Planning to work while you travel? Whether you call yourself a digital nomad or a remote worker, there are some things you can do to make life a LOT easier for yourself while working remotely. …