Welcome to Wandering Bird, where we talk about all things motorhoming, road trips & van life.
FREE checklists for you:
Hey, I'm Kat. Three years ago I quit my job as an air traffic controller to explore the UK & Europe by motorhome and motorbike. On this blog, we share tips and tricks to help you have amazing road trips, whether it's a quick weekend away or a 3-month tour of Europe.
I travel with my husband and our adorable cocker spaniel, Mac. This is us in the Italian Dolomites in 2019.
Here are some links to get you started and feel free to join our email list to get helpful vanlife tips & checklists, behind-the-scenes mistakes (of which there are sadly many!), and other helpful bonuses.
Your new favourite vanlife clothing is here!
Welcome to the Wandering Bird Clothing & Sticker Shop!
This website is entirely supported by readers just like you. Anything you purchase here goes towards funding the websites and helps us make more great content to help you on your next road trip.
We are proud to support a small UK business who creates these fantastic & high-quality items. Thanks for helping us support them.
We've put together some things we think might help you:
*We work hard to make this the best motorhome blog and road trip website possible, full of helpful content for you. The website is supported by our readers, so if you buy through links on this site we may earn a commission- at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.
If you find this post useful, you can also treat us to a coffee at the bottom of this page- we promise to enjoy it while creating more useful content like this- we might even indulge in a biscuit (or two!)
Need Kit for your motorhome/ van?
Here's everything we recommend for:
- Outdoor gear
- Indoor accessories
- Motorhome Security
- Wild camping/ off-grid life
- Europe Travel
- Travelling with dogs/ pets
- Travelling with kids
Motorhome Insurance & Breakdown
Several insurance companies you might get good quotes through:
Great deals on breakdown cover
UK breakdown cover- get quote here
Need European Breakdown cover? Get a quote here
Pre-trip checks and tyres
Need to book a ferry? Find the best deals at:
Itinerary ideas and places to visit
Get ideas for itineraries and places to visit on Wandering Bird here
(Some of these are currently on sale, just for you. Grab them for a discounted price while you can)
Hire Companies we recommend
Motorhome Republics the world's No1 motorhome rental site. They have bases for motorhome, campervan and car rental in 29 countries around the world, including the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Norway and other countries around Europe- as well as the USA, Canada, New Zealand and more.
They work with many smaller brands and motorhome hire companies to find you the best deals and prices- meaning you can just search one place instead of having to search them all!
FIND THE BEST DEALS HERE
Spaceship Rentals- luxury motorhomes in the UK
Spaceship rentals offer a range of custom-campervans and high-end motorhomes in the UK. They can offer vehicles which sleep from 2 to 7. They offer unlimited mileage and will hire to anyone over the age of 21.
They also offer one-way hires, airport collections and accessories for hire- perfect if you're flying in for your holiday.
FIND THE BEST DEALS HERE
Hire cars and hotels
Need to hire a car or small van? Europcar operates all over the world (despite their name!) and offers fantastic deals.
If you need hotels for yourself or if people are visiting you, we often find the best deals at booking.com. The more often you use them, the cheaper the rates get.
Other useful things:
Exploring the UK? Enjoy historic castles, gardens or stately homes? Join:
Road Trip Logbook
Want a way to record your road trips as they're happening, plus a great way to remember them for years to come? You need a logbook. One with plenty of space to record daily events, including places you stayed, visited and things you did, plus add notes, photos, drawings or whatever takes your fancy. One like this 🙂
Latest on the Blog
- One Week in England- itinerary ideaNot sure where to see in England? Only got one week? Here's my one week in England itinerary – I hope it gives you some great ideas. Don't forget to grab your FREE pre-trip checklists …
- 15 easy tips to Stop Condensation in your Motorhome, Campervan or RVWorried about condensation in your campervan, motorhome, caravan or RV? You're in the right place- we've got all the best tips and tricks to reduce your vanlife damp woes. Don't forget to grab your FREE …
- Is Norway expensive to visit? Here's everything you need to knowPlanning a trip to Norway? Concerned that Norway is expensive to visit? Here's a breakdown of our Norway road trip, including food and travel costs, plus our route, map, toll costs, ferry costs, expenses, how much to spend on food and average daily budget for Norway.
- 65 best Ever Motorhome gifts (that owners will LOVE!)Looking for motorhome gifts (for others or yourself!?) Here are 40 of the most useful (and wanted!) gifts for motorhome owners
- 50 fun & practical Motorhome Books (you won't want to put down)motorhome books- great books for motorhomes, campervans, vanlife and caravans
- Motorhome Security- 15 essential tips to protect your camper from theftConcerned about motorhome security? Looking for ways to protect your campervan from theft? You're not alone- it's one of the most common questions we receive- how to keep a motorhome both safe at home and while on the road?